>by: Jason Easley|July 24th, 2012 |
In his new report, America For Sale: A Report on Billionaires Buying the 2012 Election, Sen. Bernie Sanders named names and called out the billionaires who using Citizens United to buy our democracy.
In front of a Senate panel today, Sen. Bernie Sanders outed the 26 billionaires who are members of 23 billionaire families that are using Citizens United to buy elections. Sen. Sanders estimated that these 26 billionaires are the tip of the iceberg. “My guess is that number is really much greater because many of these contributions are made in secret. In other words, not content to own our economy, the 1 percent want to own our government as well.”
Sanders explained how the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision put the government up for sale, “What the Supreme Court did in Citizens United is to say to these same billionaires and the corporations they control: ‘You own and control the economy, you own Wall Street, you own the coal companies, you own the oil companies. Now, for a very small percentage of your wealth, we’re going to give you the opportunity to own the United States government.’”
Sen. Sanders also did the last thing the billionaires wanted. He called them out by name.
1). Sheldon Adelson, owner of the Las Vegas Sands Casino, is worth nearly $25 billion, making him the 14th wealthiest person in the world and the 7th richest person in America. While median family income plummeted by nearly 40% from 2007-2010, Mr. Adelson has experienced a nearly eightfold increase in his wealth over the past three years (from $3.4 billion to $24.9 billion). Forbes recently reported that Adelson is willing to spend a “limitless” amount of money or more than $100 million to help defeat President Obama in November.
2. The Kochs (David, Charles, and William) are worth a combined $103 billion, according to Forbes. They have pledged to spend about $400 million during the 2012 election season. The Kochs own more wealth than the bottom 41.7 percent of American households or more than 49 million Americans.3. Jim Waltonis worth $23.7 billion. He has donated $300,000 to super PACs in 2012.4. Harold Simmons is worth $9 billion. He has donated $15.2 million to super PACs this year.
5. Peter Thiel is worth $1.5 billion. He has donated $6.7 million to Super PACs this year.
6. Jerrold Perenchio is worth $2.3 billion. He has donated $2.6 million to super PACs this year.
7. Kenneth Griffin is worth $3 billion and he has given $2.08 million to super PACs in 2012.
8. James Simons is worth $10.7 billion and he has given $1.5 million to super Pacs this year.
9. Julian Robertsonis worth $2.5 billion and he has given $1.25 million to super PACs this year.
10. Robert Rowling is worth $4.8 billion and he has given $1.1 million to super PACs.
11. John Paulson, the hedge fund manager who made his fortune betting that the sub-prime mortgage market would collapse, is worth $12.5 billion. He has donated $1 million to super PACs.
12. Richard and J.W. Marriott are worth a combined $3.1 billion and they have donated $2 million to super PACs this year.
13. James Davis is worth $1.9 billion and he has given $1 million to super PACs this year.
14. Harold Hamm is worth $11 billion and he has given $985,000 to super PACs this year.
15. Kenny Trout is worth more than $1.2 billion and he has given $900,000 to super PACs this year.
16. Louis Bacon is worth $1.4 billion and he has given $500,000 to super PACs this year.
17. Bruce Kovner is worth $4.5 billion and he has given $500,000 to super PACs this year.
18. Warren Stephens is worth $2.7 billion and he has given $500,000 to super PACs this year.
19. David Tepper is worth $5.1 billion and he has given $375,000 to super PACs this year.
20. Samuel Zell is worth $4.9 billion and he has given $270,000 to super PACs this year.
21. Leslie Wexner is worth $4.3 billion and he has given $250,000 to super PACs this year.
22. Charles Schwab is worth $3.5 billion and he has given $250,000 to super PACs this year.
23. Kelcy Warren is worth $2.3 billion and he has given $250,000 to super PACs this year.
The thing that these billionaires love most about Citizens United it is that it allows them to operate in total darkness. The American people couldn’t fight back because the billionaires were giving their money anonymously. This same cloak of invisibility is what made ALEC so effective for years. The conservative billionaire cabal works best in private, behind closed doors, far away from curious eyes.
With his report today, Sen. Sanders has made it more difficult for thieves of liberty to keep operating in the night. We now have a list of names and we know what they are trying to do to our government. Sen. Sanders is one of the few federally elected officials who has the courage to talk about these people in public.
Most of the members of the House and Senate are too afraid to speak of, much less take on, the billionaires. Even those decent members of Congress who might speak out against them have been terrified into silence by threats of multimillion dollar negative ad buys that will run against the incumbent back home.
Bernie Sanders is displaying a brand of political courage that is sorely lacking in American politics today, and he needs you to stand with him to protect our liberties, our freedoms, and to battle to return the government back to the American people.
Let’s keep this momentum alive! As Clint would say [Make my day!], please make our day! Support President Obama and the Democratic Party! Make your contributions – Today!
If you’ve noticed, larger corporations and their Conservative, Lobbyist, Hench men are spending copious amounts of money to buy this election. These special interest groups are willing to spend over a billion dollars to buy this election, to oust the president and replace him with a controllable puppet. You have to ask yourself why that is. Why are so many outside groups spending all this money in this election? You know this, you’re informed and people who are in the know don’t vote Republican. But, the reasons are: governmental agencies are putting the squash to their illegal practices, trying to reverse outsourcing of jobs, taxation and what I call; causing “Life Changing Events” in their lives. Incredibly, these people, groups are greedy and they, literal don’t care how these practices are affecting people at the bottom of their food chain. Not to mention, there’s this President, a minority at the top of the spectrum and that can’t be in their eyes. He can’t be the one causing their “Life Changing Events” and they can’t have that! This explanation is plain and simple; however, I think you get the message.
We are the people of America and America should be run by the people and not by corporations and their Hench men – lobbyist and special interest groups. We can’t allow them to drown-out the voices of the 98% of us! Please listen, hear me and this is reality “We can’t stand by while America is sold to the highest corporate bidder. We can’t allow the Supreme Court to just say: Your concerns don’t matter – the 1% and Corporations rule. Go home.” Sounds like Dorothy in the land of OZ – Go home! So, what can we do? What’s the alternative? The answers to those questions are: We wake-up, get the facts and vote in droves for President Obama and his administration that, in their eyes, is causing their “Life Changing Events” – vote Democratic this November 2012!
You know, I haven’t been pushing this issue, however time is getting short and November is just around the corner. I would like to contribute to the president’s campaign in the name of Democratic Liberal Umbrella and I can’t do this all alone. I need my friends at times like this, especially, when the opposition wants to destroy what the president has accomplished and the fabric of the American people. Do you see how they’re treating the Attorney General Holder with this in contempt of Congress charge? AG Holder along with President Obama are targets, they both have a big zero on their backs from the Right-wing conservatives and from AG Holder’s stand-point; he’s advancing equal rights, LGBT, defending voting rights among other things vehemently opposed by the Right-wing conservatives. I’m not at all trying to down-play the death of the ATF Border Patrol officer Brian Terry; not at all, death in the line of duty is catastrophic for his family and for the community at large! Well, that’s another topic in itself!
The Democrats and Democracy had a good day June 28, 2012 with the Supreme Court ruling on the constitutionality of ACA, in spite of the in Contempt of Congress charge on AG Eric Holder by the GOP! Let’s keep this momentum alive!
So, if you can contribute in whatever amounts, [$3, and $5, $10, and/or $25 dollars contribution] to advance the cause; it is greatly appreciated and thanks – DLU! And to expedite this process you can find several options on this site for contributing to the cause. Just a note, my personal goal is to be news central for mainstream, grassroots liberal democrats; not excluding others in however you may label yourself and you can help make that happen! Support, subscribe, like and recommend the DLU and please remember to:
We need people to come together and support the President in this election of 2012, the push to turn Congress and this Country – Blue; strengthening our democracy. Your contributions are vital to our success — take this opportunity and donate today. In addition, the GOP is spending 1 billion dollars to remove Obama from the office of: POTUS! This group consisting of K och’s, K arl Rove and in the shadows the K han because Obama has caused “Life Changing Events “- for them! Let’s make these events last four more years for the three K’s!
Thank you! Democratic Liberal Umbrella – Organization of Mainstream Grassroots Americans! Join the DLU!
If you tweet! Let me repeat! #RT Join me, Join the
# DLU - Re-elect the President and Turn Congress – Blue! [Say it!]